Things to know before visiting Vietnam

by - Friday, January 20, 2017



As some of you may know, I was in Vietnam for the last week or so and it was definitely an experience I would never forget - not exactly in a bad way but it was just a very different setting that I wasn't used to.

I've decided to share 8 small/minor but sorta important/interesting things to know, as a heads up, before you visit if you do decided to travel here!


1. You'll be paying hundreds of thousands and million Dong for stuff. Why? Because the Dong currency compared to other countries has large denominations. This means you gotta be quite careful when counting your money and when paying because you might end up overpaying or paying the wrong amount due to the amount of 0's

2. Don't expect to be crossing the road easily/safely. There may be zebra crossings and traffic lights but Vietnam is a country filled with motorbikes and just know that most of them won't stop for anyone.

3. Pickpocketers are out there. I didn't expect to see anything as such during my stay there but one of the days I was in Ho Chi Minh I witnessed a tourist who was part of a tour group get her phone snatched out of her hand. It all came out of no where and I'm not quite sure what she did but moral of the story, beware of your surroundings

4. Walking will be your best friend. Traffic is annoying, I think we all know that. So when you can walk just walk. Although it's a very small country and some of the cities there are even smaller, motorbikes, taxis, buses are everywhere so you know if you're on the road at 5 in the evening, it will take over 30 mins to get a couple of metres.

5. Taxis exist but be careful. I'm saying this as a general thing, but taxi drivers are pretty tricky and some of them will take any chance they get to take your money. I've heard stories of family not getting the right amount of change or the taxi metre being broken and then have them lying to you saying you have to pay for more km's than you actually travelled. They're obviously not all like this but there are people out there who don't have good intentions

6. Don't worry about food. There is plenty plenty of it! I'm a very very picky eater when it comes to food and I definitely have to choose my food otherwise I get a very upset stomach. Now TMI but I did have a bit of an issue but thats besides the point because there is a lot of choice that you can choose from.

7. You'll need to know basic Vietnamese to really travel well. Most of the people there do not speak English which was the main problem I had overall in this trip. It was a struggle to get around places and to get directions as well as just communicate with vendors in general. I do suggest learning some basic simple Vietnamese and common phrases before you go just so it's a little bit easier for when you travel.

8. Last of all, keep your wits about you and have fun!


Lets Connect! 
Instagram @alongcamekathy_
Twitter @_kathy97
Etsy Shop Alongcamekathy

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. Great post, Kathy! These definitely apply for the Philippines as well. Super similar!

    Nicole | The Glam Surge // Enter My Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really really want to go, So bad! It looks amazing!! Love the idea of all the food, *heart eye emoji!*

    Erin || MakeErinOver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your blog is amazing! I love it! xx
    Would you like to follow each other? If yes, please follow me on the both of my blogs and let me know in the comments of my newest posts so I can follow you ASAP.
    Have a great day!

    Vildana from Living Like V & Stalia Is BAE
    Instagram : http://instagram.com/vildanasuta (follow me, I follow back :) )

    Could you please click on the links in this post : http://living-like-v.blogspot.ba/2017/01/romwe-wishlist.html It'd help a lot! Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! Vietnam is definitely on my Travel List for the future so it was really interesting to get some tourist insight on what it's like! Just knowing that learning some basic Vietnamese is something to think about when preparing to go will be a huge help!!

    Emily xx
    www.bambisblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! My aunt and uncle went to Vietnam recently and said it was a real eye opener!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some really useful tips! I want to visit Vietnam soon x

    www.wildfirecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this little guide! Thank you for the tips :) I love Vietnamese food but I've never been to Vietnam. I have heard the same thing regarding the language. Besides, I think it's always good to know a few words in the language when traveling anywhere! xx

    www.serenbird.com

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.