What I learnt in my first year of University + Doing a Design Degree

by - Tuesday, November 08, 2016


For today I've decided to do a 10 things I've learnt in my first year of university which gives a bit of insight into doing a design degree.


1. It's expensive. I mean I knew it was expensive but I honestly didn't think it would be that expensive. Being a design student I don't buy text books or things like that but I do pay a lot for printing as well as all sorts of software programmes which all in all probably has totaled up to over $500 which is insane!

2. Bus rides are no fun. Before this year I rarely ever bussed anywhere since high school as always walking distance and going out I always drove so I always found it to be quite exciting whenever I did. Parking in the city is so expensive so for me bussing just makes more sense. The thrill and excitement of getting on a bus is no longer there for me at all.

3. You get limited time with tutors. I'm sure this is the same with all degrees but specifically with design I am rarely ever at uni. I'm there 3/5 days a week with only a few hours per day. This can be a good thing and a bad thing because if you're someone who has pretty good time management you'll be fine but if you're someone like me who often leaves it till last minute, it can be pretty stressful.

4. Finding friends with more in common. I don't know if this is with everyone but for me specifically I have met so many new people who I get along with so well and I think it's primarily because of the degree I'm taking. The peers I have are all creative and similar to me which is nice to have.

5. Wearing the same thing over and over again is okay. This slowly became apparent towards the end of the year. In the end I really just became quite lazy and would wear a comfy outfit over something that looked nice. I also rarely ever did a full face of makeup as I just didn't have time in the mornings

6. Grades aren't that important. I have definitely found that although I've done pretty well getting a B+ rather than an A doesn't matter. I think this is more towards a design degree seeing as at the end of the day what really matters is if you like what you have produced. Design is really a matter of opinion so you really shouldn't be put down if you're not getting straight A's all year.

7. Critiques are harsh. This is just how it's going to be and in a way I think it's great because they're really preparing you for the design world because at the end of the day you will be critiqued on a daily basis. I've never had a problem with receiving criticism but I know people who do and all I can say is you just have to take it on the chin and use that criticism to help you improve.

8. People are willing to help. I always figured that since university is such an independent place and everyone is sorta doing they're own thing that no one would want to help. How wrong I was. People at university are a lot more friendly than you think and especially those in the year above as they've been through what you're going through so they know whats up.

9. You need to be motivated. Since it is such an independent learning experience you definitely have to find ways to motivate yourself. There was a time in the year where I did not find any motivation at all and that was definitely where I struggled the most and a saw how that had impacted my work.

10. It's tough. This really does sum up life at university. It's hard and it's not gonna be easy but definitely worth it all the more in the end.

Hope you guys liked this quick little post. Let me know your thoughts on university!



You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. i'm in my final year now and ive learned so much already. its always great to see what other people are learning too. thanks for sharing <3

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last point is what sums everything up! It's tough, needs hard work, dedication, motivation, but it will be so worth it at the end! x

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're doing super well though lovely! just think at the endless job opportunitys at the end :)

    Hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's very interesting. I can totally relate about many of these, thanks for sharing!

    The Fashion Matters- Travel & Fashion blog | Instagram: TheFashionMatters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha great post! I actually liked the bus ride to uni it gave me time to wake up before my lectures haha xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Kathy and very true. My university days are sadly far behind me but I know for sure that all these points are too true! Uni really is so tough sometimes but you are so right about staying motivated, that is totally key. The fact that you are getting good grades and running this great blog also is so good though, I wish I was this organised at uni haha! :) xx

    Tash
    natashatodd.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took design in university and I definitely hear your pain. Especially when it comes down to the costs of everything. Hang in there :)
    Dora
    http://www.adropofindigo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree that meeting new people who have the same passion as you is really cool. Also, I agree with the grades and critique part too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.