Healthy Banana Oat Muffins

by - Friday, March 04, 2016

This week was my first year at university (doing a Design degree) and I have found it to be all very exciting and new. I am very much looking forward to the rest of the weeks to come, even though the new environment is a bit overwhelming. I am still living at home and the time it takes me to get to my campus is around 40 minutes to an hour which is quite a long journey. Overall this means I have limited time for sleep, getting ready and most importantly food prep.

I wanted to share with you guys a quick banana muffin recipe 

* I have made a smoothie recipe post which is also super easy and great for the morning because it's so quick. They are also good to take on the go if you have a plastic bottle. Feel free to check it out!*

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ingredients 
- 3/4 C mashed ripe bananas 
- 1/2 C skin milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable/canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 C quick cooking oats
-1/4 C granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt

Method 
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F)
2. Combine wet ingredients (bananas, milk, oil, egg, vanilla) in a medium bowl
3. Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt)
4. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until they are just combined
5. Lay out paper liners (9) and divide that batter equally
6. Bake 16 minutes or until the centre comes out clean
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also I like to adapt recipes to suit me and what I have in my pantry. That's the fun in baking and making your own food, if you don't like something just take it out and replace it. 


Things I changed/added
- Almond milk instead of skim milk
- Brown sugar instead of white sugar
- Whole meal flour instead of whole wheat (I think they're the same thing but I'm just putting it out there incase they aren't)
- I also decided to do 1 C of flour because the mixture was a little runny
- Whole grain oats instead of quick cooking oats 
- Vanilla powder instead of vanilla extract

My version of the muffins ended up with 6 but I used large muffin casings 


I really enjoyed making this and I have found that I haven't had to get up and worry about what I have to prepare for lunch. This is also quite healthy, the original recipe I read this from >> Recipe Girl << had said that 1 muffin had 128 calories, 4.19g Fat, 0.51g Saturated Fat, 8.73g Sugar, 3.31g Protein, 23.77mg Cholesterol and 20.45g Carbs. With that being said if you have changed the recipe a bit like me, it's obviously not going to be exact but pretty similar!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I would encourage everyone to make it. You can take it to school, university, college, work, have it for breakfast, on the go, the options are pretty much endless. 

TIP 1 These will last a few days in a room temp air tight container. I would recommend freezing them or putting them in the fridge

TIP 2 If you prefer to make a few batches then I would leave a couple out at room temp but freeze the rest. This way they don't go old and mouldy. For the freezed goods I take them out the night before so they are perfect in the morning and I can just chuck them in my bag and go - or you can microwave them a bit to defrost them. 

TIP 3 If you want to substitute sugar for other sweeteners like honey/syrup, this post >> Wholenewmom << is really helpful. She pretty much tells you how to do it properly whilst still getting the same rise and sweetness in your baked goods.






I hope you enjoyed this quick little recipe!
Thanks for reading xx

You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. This looks so good ! It's so funny it posted a banana based recipe yesterday !
    Alexandra
    http://littlefrenchblog.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your banana bread looks so yum! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious and a great way of getting around your busy schedule! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much nicer than waking up extra early to prepare some lunch haha!

      Delete
  3. These sound and look yummy Kathy! I will definitely be making some soon x

    www.beautylifebecca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so easy as well! Definitely recommend :) xx

      Delete
  4. I can't believe they're so little calories! They look lovely. And you'll get used to the commute don't worry! I work 30 miles from home :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm not someone who counts calories but this is really good for someone who does :) x

      Delete
  5. I would never think to go for this type of muffin, but they look ah-mazing!
    I need to get into the Kitchen asap xx
    Holly | www.thekittyluxe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I find baking so much fun and it's a great way to save money :) x

      Delete
  6. Congrats on starting uni!! I'm glad you liked it and are looking forward to it! These muffins look amazing and they're healthy so no feeling guilty hahah x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! They also taste really nice :) x

      Delete
  7. It's my first year in university, too, and I'm still living at home, so I know where you're coming from. All the best to you, Kathy. Also, these muffins look so good!

    MAY | WWW.THEMAYDEN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too!! It's a very exciting but nervous time starting university :) Thank you so much for reading! x

      Delete
  8. These look so delicious, I'll have to give them a go.

    Olivia // BLONDE LA MODE xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so! They're really easy to make as well :)

      Delete
  9. Omg yummm, these look so good! Since they have oats and bananas in them, they can be eaten for breakfast, right? Hehe x

    TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Nothing better than fulfilling that sweet tooth in the morning haha :) x

      Delete
  10. These sound amazing - I love finding healthy recipes to try!

    Caz | This is Caz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah they look so good! I love all kinds of banana muffins, and will have to try these too! Thank you! x


    - Anne | annesmiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Banana muffins are definitely my favourite (as well as peanut butter) hahah!

      Delete
  12. Oooh this sounds so yummy!! I love it :)

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so tasty and healthy. I need to try something like this one day! x

    http://andemm.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look so yummy! I need to bake these for the family this Sunday:) http://chocolatyprints.com/

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.