Hand Lettering Typography

by - Monday, February 08, 2016

So recently I have been obsessed typography, more specifically hand lettering. Whilst I was on Pinterest I stumbled across a whole bunch of inspirational photo's and guide's >> Pinterest Board that led me to start my own 'hand lettering hobby' if you will. 


Similar to when you start a sport or a hobby you wouldn't go out and buy the most expensive and professional equipment - Same thing with hand lettering. I mostly used what I had at home with a few extra purchases that wouldn't break the bank.

The first type of hand lettering is water colour. I use a dry water colour palette and they're my favourite to use because you are able to get the aesthetics of actual water through the opacity you create. You can also buy the water colour in tubes which come wet (I mostly use these for painting, but you can use them for this as well). 


TIP: You could probably use acrylic paints if you can't get your hands on water colours. Just be sure to water them down a bit.

The brushes I use are normal taklon paint brushes as well as a water brush. Both brushes do the same job but I find that the water brushes are easier because it's smoother and less of a hassle. With the normal brushes I like to change between flat brushes and pointy brushes, depending on what style of type I want to create.




I also like using fine liners because they are a bit easier to control. The two brands that I am quite familiar with is 'Uni Pin,' which you can find at pretty much most stationary stores and 'Sakura Pigma Micron,' which is easily found on eBay or Amazon. They are both relatively cheap especially buying off eBay so I would recommend for you to go there.




Here are the tip sizes on the pen and as you can tell there is a small difference in each one. 


For this lettering here I used 03 (which is the main one I always use) and 02 for the shading in the block letter. I find that 03 is not too thick or thin. This makes it easier to load onto Photoshop and edit.


For this one I decided on 02 as I wanted a finer detail. I always use pencil before hand just so it's easier to guide when I actually put pen to paper.


For this one I used a brush pen from the 'Sakura Pigma Micron' brand. I found the brush pen to be a bit difficult to work with in the beginning so I used fine liners to fill in the rough edges.


Here are some of my completed letterings.



Hope you enjoyed this blog post! 


You May Also Like

28 comments

  1. This looks awesome! I used to love calligraphy! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find calligraphy to be some sort of stress reliever! hahaha xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your calligraphy is so pretty! This made me so inspired ahaha! I love typography and calligraphy too, there's something about a good quote in pretty lettering that makes me happy haha!x

    http://sweetasmae.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good quotes + pretty lettering = guilty pleasure! hahah xx

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried the Sakura Pigma brush pen. So far, I've only had Pentel and Kuretake brush pens which I will probably be blogging about in the future. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try those two brands out, I've been trying to expand my collection! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Wow. This looooks awesome! I love typography but haven't tried it out with paint :s
    I've been loving using calligraphy though :D
    Laila
    www.lailabee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first started out with paint as it was the most inexpensive :) Doesn't turn out with the same quality but still great to practice with xx

      Delete
  6. I am obsessed with the When in Rome one!!! You need to start an etsy shop girl these would sell!

    Xx
    Ash

    AshleyAnnplan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Thank you so much, it really means a lot :) xx

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad I found this post, hand-drawn typography is something I've been thinking of trying for a while. I used to be obsessed with Instagramming monochromatic quotes on Instagram, and always thought that it'd be great to create my own.

    Kirstie | Behind The Scent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handlettering is really fun to do!! Glad you liked this post :)

      Kathy xx

      Delete
  8. These are all so adorable! You're really talented, I just know mine would end up an inky mess haha.

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It definitely took me longer than a few tries to get them right :) xx

      Delete
  9. They look so pretty. I really love you're blog posts. I wanted to start doing typography or something similar to make a wall display in my room. Thank you for the really detailed post!xx

    http://andemm.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Typography is so much fun and you save so much more money on home decor if you DIY :) xx

      Delete
  10. They look so pretty. I really love you're blog posts. I wanted to start doing typography or something similar to make a wall display in my room. Thank you for the really detailed post!xx

    http://andemm.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that looks amazing!! I too have been obsessed with typography... I just need a lot more practice! Awesome post!

    http://lavendernhoney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It definitely took me more than a couple of weeks to finally get to a somewhat OK hand lettering hahah! :)

      Delete
  12. Love your tutorial (and your blog)... some really great tips in there too! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Looking forward to more of your hand-lettering posts!

    Yaansoon
    http://yaansoon.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Your blog and typography is amazing and I love looking at blogs like yours to find inspiration :) xx

      Delete
  13. I was skeptical of the waterbrush at first, but once I tried it I fell in love! Love how you used the cross bar of H in Hand lettering to come down into a flourish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I definitely can't credit myself for that idea with the H because I had found some inspiration off pinterest :) xx

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, these are so beautiful. All the hard work you've been putting in is really paying off. <3
    Minaali
    The Snap Narrative

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow these are so beautiful!! Keep doing this! You could try to sell it maybe, it's amazing! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Since posting this I recently started an Etsy store! xx https://www.etsy.com/nz/shop/alongcamekathy?ref=hdr_shop_menu It hasn't got much on it but I am definitely working on a lot of prints :)

      Delete
  16. AMAZING work!!

    | www.noirettediary.com |

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.