Valentines Day Sugar Cookies

by - Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I've had a major sweet tooth recently and I've been doing a whole bunch of baking so I decided to share one of the recipes I used to make these sugar cookies! 
Baking for me is super fun and I think these are perfect gifts for a friend or a loved one especially with Valentines Day coming up soon (I even added in the touch of pinks and purples to make it seem more appropriate for this event).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ingredients

- 3/4 C (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 C (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (adds to flavour)
- 2 + 1/4 C (281g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Any chocolate candy or chocolate chips

Method
1. Prepare the dough in advance because it needs time to cool - I find 3 to 4 hours is a good amount, or you can even prepare it over night.
2. Beat butter in a large bowl until smooth and creamy - it should turn a cream colour .
3. Add sugar to bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg and vanilla until all the ingredients so far are combined.
5. In a seperate bowl whisk all the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt together.
6. Slowly add in the dry ingredients whilst mixing until dough is formed.

* Now you can either roll out your dough to prepare for chilling and cutting or you can form them into little balls and chill them

7. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
8. Optional but I put little chocolate candy's on top to bring colour into my cookies
9. Transfer your cookies onto baking paper and bake them!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I like to adapt recipes to suit me so for this recipe I decided to half it so I didn't make too much, as well as replace/remove some ingredients. 




I decided it would be quicker and easier for me to just roll them into little circles rather than roll them out and cut them. Cutting them out into heart shapes would be perfect for Valentines Day though, and you could then ice them with a simple royal icing recipe. 


The chocolate candies I used were smarties (because the normal m&m's didn't have them in pink or purple). I think they turned out really well and if you're like me and you aren't the best baker, I would recommend to just do simple decorating like this.



I hope you enjoyed this blog post and are inspired to get in the kitchen and bake! I love baking and I find them to be the perfect gifts because who doesn't like food ?


You May Also Like

28 comments

  1. OMG I WANT TO MAKE THESE RIGHT NOW! Mmm...I love cookies ❤️❤️
    How did you get your blog post to look so professional?! Hehe
    Laila
    www.lailabee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sooo good!! Thank you so much, I never thought my blog really looked that professional hahah! xx

      Delete
  2. These are super cute! I need the cookies and the heart shaped bowl in my life right now haha. Thanks for sharing!

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found the heart shaped bowl at an antique store! Really good purchase that was :) xx

      Delete
  3. I love sugar cookies, they are so easy to bake and they take amazing. Yours turned out so good Kathy! :) x

    www.beautylifebecca.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love anything easy and tastes good :) xx

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! I have to try making them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They are super quick as well, maybe 20 minutes - not including the chilling time :) xx

      Delete
  5. These look so tasty, they sound like they could satisfy my sweet tooth too! x

    Jodie // Jodie Loue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trust me, perfect when you are craving anything sweet! :) xx

      Delete
  6. These look so tasty! I love how you've just put one colour of smarties on the top, makes them look so much more chic.

    Kirstie | Behind The Scent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go through two packets just to find the same colours hahah!

      Delete
  7. These look amazing! I'm such a baking disaster I could never master anything that isn't as flat as a pancake (and I'm not trying to make panacakes..)

    Tempered to gives these a go though..!

    Ella xx

    Ellapitt.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I'm not a baker at all but these are really easy and pretty straight forward :) Goodluck with them if you do decide to make some !!

      Kathy xx

      Delete
  8. They look so lovely! I might give them a try next weekend. I think my son will love the Smarties on top. Thank you for sharing! x

    Ninz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're super easy and I'm sure he could join in hahah :) Thank you for reading !!

      Kathy xx

      Delete
  9. These look delicious! - I've got a huge sweet tooth too, these days I try to bake "clean" snacks instead to avoid the extra sugar in my diet! Great post though :)

    xx

    sincerelykimberly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I have tried to cut sugar out of my diet as well but I struggle to do that so much hahah! Props to you for being able to do that :)

      Kathy xx

      Delete
  10. These look so amazing, may have to run out for ingredients this weekend!

    Katy | katy-davies.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! I find that most of the ingredients I already had at home except for the chocolate candies :)

      Kathy xx

      Delete
  11. These look absolutely delicious! :-)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so delicious! I love how you separated the colored candies! Too cute! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It definitely took a very long time and a couple bags of candy to find the colours haha :) xx

      Delete
  13. These sugar cookies look sooo yummy! I'd love to try these someday, thanks for sharing!

    http://www.mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! They are super easy and taste really nice :)

      Delete
  14. These looks so tasty! I want to start baking more and I'm currently collecting together lots of recipes to try out so I'll be adding this to the collection :)

    Lauren | laurenthedaydreamer.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look so yummy! I can't remember the last time I made cookies! x

    Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete

Alongcamekathy. Powered by Blogger.